The exchange project Montréal ~ Habana: Rencontres en art actuel / Encuentros de arte contemporáneo (Encounters in contemporary art) is aimed at disseminating, producing, and fostering dialogue between Cuban and Montreal artists and cultural workers. The project will kick off in Montreal from May 17 to June 22, 2019, before opening in Havana from October 31 to December 8, 2019, as part of the Caribbean city’s 500-year anniversary activities.
This contemporary art event will feature exhibitions, artist residencies, video projections, thematic colloquiums, networking activities, artist talks by participating artists, and lots of festivities.Montréal ~ Habana : Rencontres en art actuel / Encuentros de arte contemporáneo is co-hosted by 8 Montreal artist-run centres and six Havana partner organizations who have come together to produce a large-scale project to strengthen our international ties and promote artistic practices from both countries.
Habana in Montreal: May 17 to June 22, 2019
- Three exhibitions, at Centre CLARK (Hamlet Lavastida), Galerie B-312 (Ariamna Contino & Alex Hernandez) and La Centrale Galerie Powerhouse (curated by Solveig Font)
- Three artist residencies, hosted by DARE-DARE (Victor Piverno), Oboro and Perte de signal (Milton Raggi & Danny Perreault)
- A video program (L’âge d’or de l’art video à Cuba) selected by Cuban curators Gretel Medina, Lillebit Fadraga and Cristina Figueroa, and presented by GIV and Vidéographe at the Cinémathèque québécoise.
- A series of conferences in several participating centres
- Informal activities (visits, dinners, meetings) to help foster exchange between Cuban and Montreal artists, curators and cultural workers
Montreal in Habana : October 31 to December 8, 2019
- Three exhibitions on three floors of the Centro de Desarrollo de las Artes Visuales, curated by Montreal artist-run centres: Galerie B-312, Centre CLARK and La Centrale Galerie Powerhouse
- An artist residency held in a public space, presented by DARE-DARE
- An artist residency organized by Oboro/Perte de signal
- A video program featuring videos from the collections of Vidéographe and GIV selected by artist and curator Nelson Henricks. The program will be launched at the Galería Continua and presented at the Centro de Desarrollo de las Artes Visuales
Montreal partners: Centre CLARK, DARE-DARE, Galerie B-312, Groupe Intervention Vidéo (GIV),Galerie La Centrale Powerhouse, OBORO, Perte de signal, Vidéographe
Havana partners: Centro de Desarrollo de las Artes Visuales, Artista X Artista, Avencez Art Space, Galería Continua, Fabrica De Arte Cubano (F.A.C.), Galerie El Apartamento, Cristina Figueroa
Montréal ~ Habana came into being after the Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec (RCAAQ) shared its network of contacts with several curators and arts organisations in Cuba, as part of the Montreal-Habana exchange it established in 2011. The RCAAQ’s goal was to open this emerging network to its members to encourage long-term partnerships and artistic projects.
Montréal ~ Habana is the meeting of two islands!
This project was made possible thanks to the financial support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, the Conseil des arts de Montréal, the Ministère des Relations Internationales et de la Francophonie and Emploi Québec.
BETWEEN MONTREAL & HABANA /
MTL: MAY 17 - JUNE 22, 2019
HAV: OCTOBER 31 - DECEMBER 8, 2019
EXHIBITION AT CLARK /
MAY 17 to JUNE 22, 2019
COMPLETE SCHEDULE /