Centre CLARK invites artists, collectives, and curators to submit exhibition projects for its general call for submissions for the period of September 2022 to June 2023. Whether exhibiting the work of emerging or established artists from here or abroad, CLARK supports a plurality of innovative and experimental art practices. Our annual programming presents a multiplicity of voices, perspectives, heritages, viewpoints, and experiences that translate into an equal number of contemporary art forms. This multiplicity is materialized through cultural inclusion, intergenerational exchange, and gender equity, among other means.
The Centre has two exhibition spaces (for more details, see floor plan). We offer one space per submission, except in cases where group exhibitions require both galleries. CLARK is also sensitive to environmental concerns. As such, the programming committee will consider a project’s environmental impact when evaluating proposals. For example, building Gyprock walls and painting the entire gallery is discouraged unless it is essential to the nature of the project.
*Proposals will be evaluated and selected by a diverse programming committee composed of CLARK’s artist-members and curators, as well as part of its administrative team.
Your proposal must include the following:
- An artist’s statement (maximum 300 words – if your project involves several people, please allow 100 words per person);
- A project description (maximum 300 words);
- An updated CV (or CVs, if multiple artists are involved);
- A maximum of twenty (20) digital images of your work (JPEG or PNG format) – previous projects, installation views, as well as images of the proposed work (even if in progress) are recommended. Descriptive information on each image should be provided in the appropriate field on the submission form;
- For audio and video works (max. 10 minutes), you may also include links to websites in the media documentation section of the same form. If the link is private, please provide a password;
- A list of technical installation requirements, special needs while on site, or any other specific requests, if applicable;
- A proposed installation floor plan (optional).
The Centre will provide:
- An exhibition fee based on the recommended rate set by the Canadian Artists’ Representation / Front des artistes canadiens (CARFAC). The current fee for a solo exhibition is $2,150 per gallery space;
- 16 hours of technical assistance at Atelier CLARK for the production of exhibition-related wood-based components (per selected project);
- Technical assistance for the installation of your work;
- A $125 fee for an artist’s talk or curator’s talk
- Financial support for the transportation of artworks may be available;
- Professional exhibition documentation.
For artists outside of Montréal:
- A minimum of 50% of travel expenses will be reimbursed;
- 5 nights free accommodation will be provided (location to be determined by the Centre).
For parents with young children:
- If requested in advance, CLARK can arrange childcare, provide a portable playpen, and space for nursing or other needs during installation.
For persons with reduced mobility:
- An access ramp is located on the north side of the building. If assistance is required for opening the doors to the gallery, a doorbell is located on the right side of the door of CLARK’s interior entrance, in the building’s main corridor. The Centre is currently working to make its spaces more accessible. If you have questions about your specific access needs, please contact us at: [email protected]
Only proposals submitted via our online form will be considered. If you have not received an acknowledgement of receipt by email after submitting you proposal, please contact us as soon as possible at: [email protected].